Hello Delicious Apple Cranberry Cake!
Get ready to tantalize your taste buds this Apple Cranberry Cake that tastes so good and is easy to make. Easy and tasty two of my favorite words when it comes to recipes! This recipe has been adapted from the one at Barefoot Contessa, we’ve got to give credit where credit is due, as it inspired us to try it out and it come out so well! We’ve cut down the sugar and I admit sometimes I’m a little heavy on the cinnamon but that’s because we love it that way. I’ve also changed it to dark brown sugar a few times and personally I like it better that way but I love dememera sugar, however for this recipe we left it with the light brown sugar.
I love that this Apple Cranberry Cake recipe is fabulous for really any occasion. Having friends over for coffee or dinner, have some apple cranberry cake, baby shower, office party, potluck and the list goes on. I personally love it when I have time to sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee and a slice of cranberry apple cake and if I’m feeling like make it extra special (which is always) I add some whip cream on top. Oh yummy does not even begin to cover it. So lets’ get on with this recipe shall we?
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over for stems
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored,and diced (if you like it sweeter try a Gala apple yum)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed (or if you want to try like I did dark brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest (2 oranges)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/8 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided - feel free to do to taste
- 2 extra-large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon set aside
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine the following: cranberries, apple, brown sugar, orange zest, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the eggs on medium-high speed for 2 minutes. On medium speed, add 1/2 cup of the granulated sugar, butter, vanilla, and sour cream and beat just until combined. Don't over mix. On low speed, slowly add the flour and salt.
- Pour fruit mixture into a 10-inch glass pie plate. Pour the batter over the fruit,covering it completely. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar and 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon and sprinkle it over the batter. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the fruit is bubbling around the edges.
- You can serve it warm or at room temperature.
Who is ready for a piece? Are you hungry for the apple cranberry cake yet?
Doesn’t it sound fairly easy to make? If you don’t have all of the ingredients run out and get them now. If you can’t get fresh cranberries you can use frozen but drain them as much as you can. Well if you’re not hungry for it I know I sure am! I think I will go and make myself a latte and eat that last piece of cake before my hubby or daughter realize there is one more piece left! If you try it let us know how you liked it!