Love Bacon Even More with Two Delicious Recipes!
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies and Perogie Casserole
That’s right – bacon’s not just with eggs anymore! The beloved breakfast staple can do so much more. These two tasty recipes for Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies and a Perogie Casserole will reaffirm your love for bacon! Even my bacon-loving family was taken by surprise, especially with the Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies!
I’ll admit it – my family and I were a bit dubious about adding bacon to tried-and-true classic, chocolate chip cookies. However, the slightly salty crispiness paired with the softness of the cookies won us all over. Sweet (but not too sweet), salty and crispy is a winning combination. How did I not think of this before?
Just imagine, homemade chocolate chip cookies taken to the next level! The (not so) secret ingredient is Great Value Thick Bacon. It can be a dangerous recipe, though – it’s so easy to make, you will want more!
Great Value Thick Bacon, Great Value All Purpose Flour, Great Value Baking Soda, Great Value Salt, Great Value Unsalted Butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, 2 Great Value Eggs, Great Value Vanilla Extract, and Great Value Milk Chocolate Chips.
Make sure to print the recipe and/or save it for later!Print
- 375 g pkg Great Value Thick Bacon
- 3 cups Great Value All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Great Value Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) Great Value Salt`
- 1 cup (250 ml) Great Value Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 ml) packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 Great Value Eggs
- 1 tbsp.(15 ml) Great Value Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup (250 ml) Great Value Milk Chocolate Chips
- Heat oven to 350F (175C). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 to 10 min. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Once cooled, roughly chop.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 2 min. Add eggs, one at a time until combined. Add vanilla. Add flour to mixture in 2 additions until fully combined. Stir in chocolate chips and bacon
- Spoon onto prepared sheets in 2 tbsp. (30 ml) balls 1 ½ inches (3.5 cm) apart, pressing down lightly with palm. Bake in batches for 14 to 15 min until just golden on edges. Let cool 2 min on sheets before cooling completely on racks.
Try these delectable cookies as an ice cream sandwich with your favourite ice cream flavour!
Didn’t I tell you that these Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies were so easy to make? It’s a fun activity to do with the kids; they’ll love to squish their hands in the dough. I find even now that my daughter loves to be the one to drop the cookie dough onto the pan. I think it’s her favourite part – besides mixing in the chocolate chips, that is!
It’s no surprise that bacon is a perfect addition to any meal, but it’s especially delicious in this Perogie Casserole! I love this recipe because it has bacon (of course), but also because it’s a meal that leaves you feeling satisfied. It’s one of those recipes that become your go-to comfort food, with thick-sliced bacon and cheesy potato perogies.
Super simple to toss together, this creamy mixture of bacon, mushroom, sour cream and potato will have you coming back for more!
Great Value Low-Sodium Bacon, cremini mushrooms, sliced, medium onion, garlic cloves, salt, pepper, Great Value Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth, Great Value Sour Cream, chopped chives, Great Value Mozzarella-Cheddar Shredded Cheese, Great Value Potato and Cheddar Perogies.
Check out the recipe card below for the full recipe for this yummy perogie casserole.Print
- 8 strips Great Value Low-Sodium Bacon
- 227g pkg cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp pepper, divided
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 1-¼ cups sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped chives, divided
- 1-½ cups Great Value Mozzarella-Cheddar Shredded Cheese, divided
- 1 pkg (1 kg) Great Value Potato and Cheddar Perogies
- Heat oven to 375 F (190 C). Spray a 7” x 11” (2 L) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 to 10 min. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Once cooled, crumble or roughly chop. Set aside all but 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of bacon renderings from pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, ¼ tsp (1 ml) each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until softened and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 min.
- In a medium bowl, whisk chicken broth gradually into sour cream. Stir in 3 Tbsp (45 ml) chives, 1-¼ cups (310 ml) cheese, and remaining salt and pepper.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, place pierogis and 2 Tbsp (30 ml) water. Cover with plastic wrap and with a fork or paring knife pierce plastic 5 or 6 times. Microwave on high until pierogis are soft, stirring halfway.
- Add sour cream and mushroom mixture to pierogis. Reserve 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of bacon renderings; add remaining into pierogis. Stir to combine. Spoon into casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake until mixture is bubbling at sides, 25 to 30 min. Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 min. Sprinkle with reserved chives.
Kitchen Tip: This dish is perfect served with a green salad and fresh steamed veggies.
Kitchen Tip: Make this dish a day ahead by preparing the sauce, mushroom mixture and defrosting the perogies overnight in the fridge. Toss together last minute and bake an extra 10 to 15 minutes until warmed through and bubbling at the sides before sprinkling with reserved cheese and bacon and returning to the oven to melt the cheese.
We were so full from the delicious perogie casserole that we didn’t end up having salad, but we will next time! As a family of three, this perogie casserole recipe yielded enough for three meals. I love it when I don’t have to cook every night; this is definitely going on my favourites list.
For more delicious recipes with Great Value Bacon, you’ll want to check out Walmart’s Recipe Centre for yummy recipes like this Cheesy Bacon-Wrapped Chicken. It’s next on my list to try and I can’t wait.
Don’t forget to PIN these recipes so you can have them at your fingertips whenever you want to make them, which will be often!
Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies to PIN
Perogie Casserole PIN
This post is sponsored by Walmart Canada as part of the Walmart Great Value Bacon program. In exchange for this post, I have received perks in the form of products and/or compensation. All opinions on this blog are my own.