Keep cozy during the colder season with this delicious and filling chicken corn chowder – the ultimate comfort food.
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1” cubes
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- 3 yukon gold potatoes, diced (around 2 ½ cups)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) sweet corn
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- In a heavy saucepot or dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the bacon and cook until crispy, around 8 minutes. Remove bacon from pot with a slotted spoon and set aside, then drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper and add to the pot, cooking until the chicken is no longer pink, around 4 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add the bell pepper and onion and cook until tender, around 3 minutes. Add the garlic and serrano pepper and cook for an additional 1 minute. Add the potatoes and chicken broth, bring pot to a rolling boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Return the chicken to the pot, then add the sweet corn, heavy cream, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves. Stir to combine and continue to simmer for an additional 15 minutes uncovered. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the reserved bacon. Enjoy!