Chicken Taco Salad is the ideal healthy but yummy lunch! Make this kid-friendly meal as a salad or as a taco or have it in a tortilla to make an easy wrap on the go!
For the wraps or salad you can top with a salad dressing of your choice. Although we’d limit the amount of dressing for the wrap if it’s not being eaten at home, to make it less messy.
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste,
- 8–10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (depends on size)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (can use Canola or Olive Oil)
- 1 avocado diced
- Tomatoes – we used cherry tomatoes from our garden
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Sour cream
- Shredded Cheese
*For Tacos – taco shells or soft shell tortilla we used small tortillas
*For a Taco Salad – lettuce (we used green leaf)
*For Taco Salad Wraps – use larger flour tortillas
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, onion salt and pepper and salt to taste. Season chicken with seasonings mixture.
- Lightly oil grill with olive oil (use a paper towel or rag and rub onto grill)
- Turn the grill on low to start and sear each side of the thighs.
- Turn up to medium-high and grill until cooked. Chicken should have an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C). Refer to the cooking guidelines here for guidance.
- Let chicken cool before dicing. (See #4 below)
Cooking Chicken in a Pan
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet in a single layer until cooked through, reaching an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C), about 5 minutes per side.
- Let chicken cool before dicing into bite-size pieces.
- Serve chicken with toppings whether as a taco, wrap or salad. I like to top with a bit squeeze lime juice first and then add the rest of the toppings.
The paprika and chili powder can give the chicken a bit of a pinkish colour, it is cooked so don’t worry. If in doubt always use a meat thermometer to check the internal temp of the chicken to ensure it’s thoroughly cooked through.
Keywords: chicken taco salad, chicken tacos, chicken wraps, easy lunches, grilled chicken