Chocolate Coconut Bon Bons Recipe
A decadent and delicious treat – Chocolate Coconut Bon Bons!
I love and I mean love coconut and chocolate, so naturally if I combined them then it’s pretty much my dream treat & dessert. So of course we had to create another recipe with chocolate and coconut and if you want to really go wild and crazy you can top them with you favorite nuts, sprinkles, caramel drizzle, do whatever catches your fancy or leave them as delicious Chocolate Coconut Bon Bons, perfect just by themselves. I will warn you though that you’re going to want to double the batch because these will get devoured especially if your friends and family try one. It only takes one bit of these bon bons to get addicted to them!
- 1 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 14 ounce package shredded coconut
- 1 stick butter (melted, but cooled)
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 24 ounces chocolate flavored Almond Bark
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped very fine for dusting (optional)
- Mix the sweetened condensed milk, shredded coconut and 2 cups of powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl and mix well. I used a stand mixer.
- Add additional powdered sugar if mixture is not thick enough. Mixture should be very thick and if mixing by hand will become hard to stir, but still sticky.
- Optional: Add pecans or walnuts and mix well. If preferred, you can remove half of the batter and set aside to make half with nuts and half without. Or omit nuts entirely!
- Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the dough and roll in your hands to form a ball. Since the dough is sticky, dusting your hands in between each ball with powder sugar will keep it from sticking to your hands.
- Place the bon bons on the prepared cookie sheet. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Insert a toothpick into each bon bon and place in freezer for approximately 2 hours.
- When ready to dip, melt the chocolate. I prefer to use a double boiler, as it keeps the chocolate smooth and at the right consistency.
- Remove bon bons from the freezer. Working quickly, hold the toothpick and dip into the melted chocolate. Gently tap the hand holding the toothpick with your other hand to remove excess chocolate. Sit each bon bon back on the wax paper.
- Optional: Dust immediately with finely chopped pecans or walnuts if desired.
- Once bon bons are dipped, and dusted with nuts, set them in the fridge until chocolate is firm.
- Gently remove the toothpicks.
Number of bon bons will be determined by how large the balls are. I did fairly large spoon full sizes to make large candies. Actual preferred size is normally large marble size.
Do not try and skip the freezing step! If not frozen, the bon bons will fall apart when they hit the melted chocolate!
It looks like a lot of steps but we’ve just broken it down as much as possible for you to follow along. It’s a very easy recipe with delicious results. If you get some extra hands on board have a few rolling the coconut mixture. After the coconut bon bons have been in the freezer long enough and you’re ready to dip it’s great to have an extra set of hands then too but you can totally do this yourself, I did. You just need to get a rhythm going for dipping and setting.
I love coconut with chocolate so much that I’d even consider topping the chocolate with toasted coconut, oh yes I would! You don’t need top them with anything as mentioned but you can really have a lot of fun coming up with ideas!
If you haven’t already guessed I adore these chocolate coconut bon bons and can eat them any time of the year. You can coordinate for certain occasions like Valentine’s Day, add some red sprinkles, or even the white of the coconut flakes on top will do. Easter you have all sorts of options from chocolate to caramel drizzle and more. It’s the treat you can make all year long, although your waist might not thank you for it, your tastebuds will love you.
Now who is ready to make a delicious batch (or two or three) of these yummy Chocolate Coconut Bon Bons? Don’t forget to check out our other yummy recipes!
Here’s a few of our favorite recipes.
Crème Caramel Recipe – It’s not flan!
Oh so creamy and rich. Some say it looks like flan but it doesn’t taste like any flan I’ve ever had. It is a rich dessert, super creamy and topped with caramel, it’s one of my all time favorite desserts growing up and now! GO HERE to get this recipe.
Mediterranean Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe
These Mediterranean Chicken Lettuce Wraps are a yummy but healthy meal. Get the easy recipe HERE.