Powered by Mom’s Church & Dwight Winter Essentials Giveaway
Open to Canada Only* – Ends 11/11 #ChurchAndDwight
Whether we like it or not winter is on its way. While some parts of Canada see lots of snow, those of us here in Vancouver don’t always see as much except when we go up to the mountains. However, no matter where you live in this fabulous country either you, a family member or someone you know loves hockey, has kids in hockey and well you know it’s all about hockey season for some.
I’m going to admit that I’m thrilled that my daughter was never interesting in hockey or ice skating or winter sports for that matter. However for all those families out there who breathe and live on the ice rink we know how rewarding and exhausting hockey season can be. So we’re sharing some tips for all the hockey families and well really all families here to help make winter a little less crazy and dare we say a little less ahem stinky.
Here are some ways to prepare for hockey season’s worst, to ensure it’s the best:
1) Develop a routine: Because the hockey season is so busy, establishing a scheduled routine is key. This includes making time for homework between school and practice, ensuring the hockey bag is packed ahead of time and coordinating carpool schedules. Pro tip: create a check-list for your child to follow so they can learn to manage their own time and ensure they’re well prepared to hit the ice.
2) Banish smelly gear: It’s always surprising how such a big smell can come from a small kid! Hockey equipment is bound to collect sweat when your kid is skating their heart off on the ice so make sure you stop odors before they start. First, air out all equipment after each use. Do not – I repeat, do not – leave everything in a zipped up hockey bag! Second, regularly wash items that can be machine washed. Pro tip: Use a detergent that’s up to the challenge such as OxiCleanTM HD Liquid Laundry Detergent and Arm & HammerTM Plus OxiCleanTM Cold Water Power Paks – they are my go-to favourites!
3) Maintain a positive attitude: The number one goal (pun intended!) for your child during hockey season should be to have fun. Whether it’s a “win” or “lose” in the end, each game teaches your child how to work as a team and participate in friendly competition. These important life values are the true prize at the end of the season!
4) Get to know your fellow hockey parents: Creating a network of other parents can add a fun social element to the experience for you. Plus, it’s a great way to stay connected and easily be able to coordinate carpools and call-in a last minute favour if you can’t make a practice.
5) Make some memories: Your before hockey advice and after hockey breakfast runs are the stuff memories are made of. Pro Tip: Create a pre or post hockey tradition for you and your son or daughter to share!
What are your tips for surviving the winter season?
To help ensure you’re ready, we’re giving away some great winter season essentials for at home and on the road.
- OxiCleanTM HD Liquid Laundry Detergent
- Arm & HammerTM Plus OxiCleanTM Cold Water Power Paks
- Arm & HammerTM Baking Soda
- Arm & HammerTM SpinbrushTM battery powered toothbrush The Ultimate Spider-Man TM
- OrajelTM Spider-ManTM Anticavity Fluoride Toothpaste