Powered by Mom’s Coconut Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
These Decadent Coconut Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe are a yummy treat for Easter or any occasion!
Calling all chocolate lovers, coconut connoisseurs or those who just love a yummy treat or dessert. These Coconut Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are a dream. Topped with toasted coconut and chocolate curls you’ll have a hard time stopping at one cupcake. They are super moist which might have something to do with the coconut oil and coconut milk and 100% delicious!
Coconut and Chocolate Cupcakes Goodness
Now don’t these coconut chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting look oh so delectable? I admit I have a weakness for chocolate and coconut together and these do not disappoint. The cream cheese frosting is not sweet but oh so rich. If for some reason you don’t love coconut (gasp) you can leave out the toasted coconut and other coconut related ingredients and switch it up with a flavor you love. However, I think if you try these you may just become a convert! Excuse me while I go wipe the drool off my chin.
Warning you’ll want more than one!
These coconut chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are rich. The dark chocolate flavor of the moist cupcakes is delicious without being overly sweet. The cream cheese frosting adds just enough sweetness and oh who doesn’t love cream cheese frosting (if you don’t, I don’t want to know lol)? Put them in colorful cupcake wrappers like we have here and you have an Easter theme. Change it up for summer, Christmas or birthdays. I tell you I can find any excuse to eat these coconut chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting!
Finally recipe time!
Now enough of my gushing on this coconut chocolaty goodness let’s get onto the recipe shall we?Print
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, (vegetable oil is also fine)
- 1 cup coconut milk, (2% or whole milk is also fine)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp instant coffee mixed with 1 cup (16 oz) hot water, (plain hot water is also fine)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3–5 Tbls. coconut milk (whole, or 2% milk, is also fine)
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Using a large mixing bowl, mix sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add coconut oil and milk and stir until combined and creamy.
- Add slightly beaten eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition.
- Add vanilla and stir to incorporate.
- Mix instant coffee and hot water (or just hot water) and add to mixture. Do not be alarmed! Mixture will separate. Keep stirring until all is combined well. Mixture will remain thin.
- Using a scoop, fill muffin tins approximately 2/3 – 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Watch carefully during last minutes of baking and do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and allow cupcakes to cool completely on a baking rack before frosting.
Cream cheese Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl, beat softened butter and cream cheese with electric or stand mixer on medium speed 2 to 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally, until smooth and creamy.
- Add in vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add 3 cups powdered sugar a little at a time to mixture, beating until smooth and creamy. Add more powdered sugar as needed until frosting is a thick spreadable consistency.
- 1 tsp of coconut extract, optional – if your would like more coconut flavor in the frosting
- For this recipe, “mom” frost the cupcakes – no need to be fancy
- Place coconut flakes on a cookie sheet and bake in oven until lightly toasted, flipping half way through toasting – approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the frosted cupcakes.
- Melt a square of baking chocolate in microwave on a saucer or plate.
- Spread out thinly and place in freezer approximately 1 minute, or until firm.
- Using a frosting, or butter knife, gently push under and forward creating shavings and chips.
- Sprinkle thinly on coconut covered cupcakes.
- If the chocolate is firmed only slightly, you can make intricate curls rather than shavings.
As always I like to show a few of the steps for you so here you go for those who are visual learners like myself. Coconut Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting recipe steps.
Coconut Chocolate Cupcakes and Cream Cheese Frosting in process Cream Cheese frosting ingredients
You can top with your favorites like coconut oh wait okay if you don’t want coconut just have chocolate shavings or caramel or whatever you like. I’m stuck on these coconut chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting though. I may have to hide the rest from the family if I want to have one more!
If you try out these yummy coconut chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting let us know how yo like them! Don’t forget we have other delicious recipes to share.
How about this Cookies ‘N Cream Mint Chocolate Milkshake
This Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipe really is oh so easy to make but looks oh so fancy!
Make sure to check out our whole recipe section we’ve got it all from snacks to full meals and of course oh so many desserts. Speaking of make sure you get our FREE e-recipe book Simply Sweet Desserts. You can get it HERE.
We hope you enjoy the recipes as much as we do, our waistline hates us but our tastebuds are in love 🙂 Okay one more photo to tempt you to go and make some coconut chocolate cupcakes of your own! Enjoy!