Comfort Food – Perogie Casserole Recipe
Perogie Casserole is a wonderful comfort food meal that brings together favourite flavours like mushrooms, bacon, and cheese alongside pillows of fluffy potato stuffed perogies!
Why a Perogie Casserole?
I love this recipe because it has bacon (of course), but also because it’s a meal that leaves you feeling satisfied. It’s one of those recipes that become your go-to comfort food, with thick-sliced bacon and cheesy potato perogies.
Super simple to toss together, this creamy mixture of bacon, mushroom, sour cream and potato will have you coming back for more!
Great Value Low-Sodium Bacon, cremini mushrooms, sliced, medium onion, garlic cloves, salt, pepper, Great Value Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth, Great Value Sour Cream, chopped chives, Great Value Mozzarella-Cheddar Shredded Cheese, Great Value Potato and Cheddar Perogies.
Check out the recipe card below for the full recipe for this yummy perogie casserole.Print
Perogie Casserole is a wonderful comfort food meal that brings together favorite flavors like mushrooms, bacon, and cheese alongside pillows of fluffy potato stuffed perogies!
- 8 strips Great Value Low-Sodium Bacon
- 227g pkg cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp pepper, divided
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 1–¼ cups sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped chives, divided
- 1–½ cups Great Value Mozzarella-Cheddar Shredded Cheese, divided
- 1 pkg (1 kg) Great Value Potato and Cheddar Perogies
- Heat oven to 375 F (190 C). Spray a 7” x 11” (2 L) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 to 10 min. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Once cooled, crumble or roughly chop. Set aside all but 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of bacon renderings from pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, ¼ tsp (1 ml) each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until softened and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 min.
- In a medium bowl, whisk chicken broth gradually into sour cream. Stir in 3 Tbsp (45 ml) chives, 1-¼ cups (310 ml) cheese, and remaining salt and pepper.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, place perogies and 2 Tbsp (30 ml) water. Cover with plastic wrap and with a fork or paring knife pierce plastic 5 or 6 times. Microwave on high until pierogis are soft, stirring halfway.
- Add sour cream and mushroom mixture to pierogis. Reserve 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of bacon renderings; add remaining into perogies. Stir to combine. Spoon into casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake until mixture is bubbling at sides, 25 to 30 min. Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 min. Sprinkle with reserved chives.
Kitchen Tip: This dish is perfect served with a green salad and fresh steamed veggies.
Kitchen Tip: Make this dish a day ahead by preparing the sauce, mushroom mixture and defrosting the perogies overnight in the fridge. Toss together last minute and bake an extra 10 to 15 minutes until warmed through and bubbling at the sides before sprinkling with reserved cheese and bacon and returning to the oven to melt the cheese.
Now how easy does that sound to put together this perogie casserole? It’s so easy and will fill your belly.
Can you freeze the perogie casserole?
Yes, you can and it freezes quite well in an airtight container. I love being able to quickly put a meal on the table that pleases our tastebuds and fills our tummies. This perogie casserole does both! We were so full from the delicious perogie casserole that we didn’t end up having salad, but we will next time! As a family of three, this perogie casserole recipe yielded enough for three meals. I love it when I don’t have to cook every night; this is definitely going on my favourites list.
Don’t forget to PIN these recipes so you can have them at your fingertips whenever you want to make them, which will be often!
Have you ever tried a perogie casserole before? This was the first time I made it but since then I’ve made it a few times as it was such a hit with the family. I suspect it will become a fall and winter favourite for everyone.
If you try this perogie casserole recipe make sure to let us know if you like it and/or what variations you might have done with it. We hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!
Don’t forget to check out our bacon chocolate chip cookies recipe!