Perogie Casserole is a wonderful comfort food meal that brings together favorite flavors like mushrooms, bacon, and cheese alongside pillows of fluffy potato stuffed perogies!
- 8 strips Great Value Low-Sodium Bacon
- 227g pkg cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp pepper, divided
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- 1–¼ cups sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped chives, divided
- 1–½ cups Great Value Mozzarella-Cheddar Shredded Cheese, divided
- 1 pkg (1 kg) Great Value Potato and Cheddar Perogies
- Heat oven to 375 F (190 C). Spray a 7” x 11” (2 L) casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 to 10 min. Drain on a paper towel lined plate. Once cooled, crumble or roughly chop. Set aside all but 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of bacon renderings from pan and increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms, onions, garlic, ¼ tsp (1 ml) each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until softened and beginning to brown, 4 to 5 min.
- In a medium bowl, whisk chicken broth gradually into sour cream. Stir in 3 Tbsp (45 ml) chives, 1-¼ cups (310 ml) cheese, and remaining salt and pepper.
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, place perogies and 2 Tbsp (30 ml) water. Cover with plastic wrap and with a fork or paring knife pierce plastic 5 or 6 times. Microwave on high until pierogis are soft, stirring halfway.
- Add sour cream and mushroom mixture to pierogis. Reserve 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of bacon renderings; add remaining into perogies. Stir to combine. Spoon into casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake until mixture is bubbling at sides, 25 to 30 min. Remove foil and sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 5 min. Sprinkle with reserved chives.
Kitchen Tip: This dish is perfect served with a green salad and fresh steamed veggies.
Kitchen Tip: Make this dish a day ahead by preparing the sauce, mushroom mixture and defrosting the perogies overnight in the fridge. Toss together last minute and bake an extra 10 to 15 minutes until warmed through and bubbling at the sides before sprinkling with reserved cheese and bacon and returning to the oven to melt the cheese.