Crystal Cove Beach Resort
Pet Friendly resort in Tofino, British Columbia
I love the beach whether it’s warm and sunny weather or it’s a crisp autumn day. I even love being at the ocean when it’s stormy weather especially here in beautiful British Columbia (BC). The Tofino area on Vancouver Island boasts some of the most stunning oceanfront views you could ever hope to see any time of the year. If you’re a pet family like we are you know how tough it can be to find places that accept your dogs let alone high-quality ones with amazing views, lucky for us we have Crystal Cove Oceanfront Resort!
What’s not to love about a view like this?
I took so many pictures that it’s just not possible to put them all in this article so I created a photo album of our favourite ones HERE. That’s not even all of them as I took hundreds as it’s such a beautiful area!
We were thrilled to go to Crystal Cove Beach resort which is a short few minutes drive from the lovely town of Tofino. It’s all too easy to get caught up in the bustle of our day to day lives. While juggling a marriage, kids, jobs, pets, after-school activities, etc. it can be especially hard to take a time out and decompress from the weight of the everyday stress that accumulates throughout the week.
Two days during the weekend just don’t add up to equal the sufficient time we need to decompress, especially not if you take into consideration the time we spend each weekend catching up on the things we didn’t get done during the week. Our lives are a hectic, noisy, jumbled mess, which is why, when we were able to take the time, we decided back in April that a trip to Crystal Cove Beach Resort in Tofino was just what we as a family needed!
We had a nice little welcome package waiting for us. The wine was good and the chocolates from Chocolate Tofino were AHmazing. Coincidentally Chocolate Tofino is a short walk from Cyrstal Cove. So yes we walked over, bought a few more chocolates and had some of the best fish and chips I’ve ever had at the outdoor cafe located next to Chocolate Tofino.
Crystal Cove Beach Resort was opened by owner, Hector Bodcen, in 1979 as a door to having his dream of a year round resort realized. The popularity of the cabins were an immediate hit. The next few years saw the expansion of Crystal Cove and in 1995, Hector sold the resort to two couples from Vancouver Island who continued to shape Hectors dream. Today the resort is home to 34 cabins and 69 full-serviced RV sites.
How can you not love the stunning views at the beach? Love the ocean!
The resort was such a blessing to my family and was a much needed change of pace. Instead of holing up in a hotel where you can find yourself cooped up without much to do, the resort was a great alternative with their individual cabins, and it’s beach front location. We arrived for our 3 day stay with our 2 pups in tow, immediately taken in by Crystal Cove’s charm and ready to enjoy our mini vacation.
The first thing we did when we arrived was check out our designated cabin. Out of their 34 on site cabins, we took up temporary residence in #17. Like each of our neighbouring cabins, ours came fully equipped to accommodate us during our stay. We were able to all sleep comfortably, make use of their full-size kitchen during our stay and enjoy evenings together on the deck.
Here’s a quick video so you can see more of the beach, you’ll hear the wind. This was near the end of April so it’s not high season, as such the beach was not busy. In the summer its’ a very busy area and no wonder with these views!
There were dog beds and food and water bowls for the dogs, doggy bags and well just everything you could think of for everyone in the family. It truly was fully equipped, we used the barbeque on the deck every day and the hot tub every night. I spent a few hours each day just sitting on the deck with a book and looking up to enjoy the view!
Walking along the beach had to stop to take a picture, yes I love sunsets
To make the deal even sweeter, because the cabin alone was worth the trip, it was mere steps away from the beach! It took us an entire two minutes to walk to the beach with the dogs. While our pups are supposed to be on leashes while at the resort when we were down at the beach we often had parts of it to ourselves so we would let them off the leash. We could see other dog families doing the same and guess what they were never any doggy problems, there was never a mess on the beach. Everyone cleaned up after their dogs and everyone enjoyed the beach.
Some highlights of Crystal Cove:
- It’s 100% pet friendly. We were able to take our fur babies with us without having to worry about leaving them home or finding a kennel to take them. We walked them around the grounds without receiving any complaints. Convenient pet showers are even stationed near the beach entrance so you can give your pup a rinse before retiring for the evening.
- The staff around the resort were very friendly and attentive. Unlike a lot of larger corporations that run a chain of resorts and employ workers with a low customer service ethic, Crystal Cove is family owned and operated. We were met with smiles, friendly faces and warmth from check-in to departure.
- Crystal Cove’s Resort Office prides themselves on being able to take care of their guests needs. They offer an array of post-cards for loved ones, complimentary DVDs (which we loved being able to borrow, we only watched one but it was handy) and even bike rentals.
- I took advantage of the the shelves of books they had, you could borrow whatever novel was on the shelf so I did and enjoyed reading a book on the deck watching the sun go down
- The Resort is a short distance from the Pacific Rim National Park where visitors can enjoy surfing, explore tidal pools, hike, or go kayaking. This is also where you go if you’re brave enough to do the West Coast Trail.
- It’s also only a short drive from the resort over to Tofino, a small town with the population of 1,876. Friendly dogs and their owners only added to the charm of the district, which we enjoyed.