Powered by Mom’s Death by Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe
If you love chocolate like we do you will LOVE this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake!
This delicious Death by Chocolate Poke Cake has is super moist with the homemade chocolate pudding. I then topped it with a whipped cream and cream cheese frosting, chocolate ganache AND chocolate chips. I figured if I was going to call it a Death by Chocolate Poke Cake that meant there was no such thing as too much chocolate. Chocolate lovers this one is for you!
This Death by Chocolate Poke Cake came together as my husband and daughter requested something chocolate. I’ve been doing a lot of chocolate and coconut recipes because I love chocolate and coconut. However hubby and my daughter wanted something all chocolate and I’ve been wanting to try my hand at a chocolate poke cake. I decided I would just use a store bought chocolate cake mix but you’re welcome to do it from scratch.
My pan is a bit of a weird size so the cake was a little too high but that didn’t stop me. I do suggest using a standard 9×13 baking pan and try it first with one cake mix for this chocolate poke cake. You can add another half a box if you want more cake than topping. I tend to gather bits that I like from recipes and put it together with what I like. That’s how this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake was born.
I thought about using an instant chocolate pudding but it’s so easy to make your own. All you need is some milk, cocoa, sugar and a bit of cornstarch and you can make your own chocolate pudding. I used the microwave to make the pudding so it didn’t take very long at all. My husband and daughter were chomping at the bit waiting for this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake to be ready.
My daughter loved doing the part of poking the holes in the Death by Chocolate Poke Cake. We did it with the end of a wooden spoon so that the chocolate pudding could seep down into the cake. I’ve seen some of these poke cakes with sweetened condensed milk, those would be good too we loved it with the chocolate pudding.
If you have a large enough measuring cup, make the pudding in that and microwave it. It’s so much easier to pour from the measuring cup once the pudding is thick enough. Don’t worry if some of the pudding is still on top of the chocolate poke cake. It will set and you’re going to be putting a whole bunch of goodness on top of that anyways.
Time for the full recipe instructions are you ready? Let’s finish off this delicious Death by Chocolate Poke Cake shall we?!
- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix (follow instructions - most require eggs & oil)
- ⅔ cups sugar
- ¼ cup Cocoa
- 2¼ cups milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- 3 tbsps cocoa
- 9 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan).
- Make, bake and cool cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan.
- Poke cake every ½ inch with handle of wooden spoon.
- In medium bowl, mix sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Gradually stir in milk.
- Microwave on high for 7-10 mins or until the mixture comes to a full boil. Stir every 2-3 minutes
- Once the pudding is thickened add in butter and vanilla.
- Let it cool a bit before pouring over the cake
- Make sure the cake and pudding is completely cooled before frosting
- In a small bowl beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Beat until smooth, then fold in whipped cream.
- Frost the cake. You can stop here if you want. The chocolate ganache is not required but oh boy does it add this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake
- Heat the cream in a medium sized microwaveable bowl.Bring to a boil where it's just starting to form bubbles.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until they are melted and thoroughly mixed
- Let it cool so it's slightly warm not hot but still pours easily. Pour over frosting.
- You can do the reverse and add the ganache before the frosting. I did it last so the chocolate chips would adhere to it.
- Store cake in fridge
- Enjoy your Death by Chocolate Poke Cake
Can you see the pudding in the cake below? Super moist and super rich that’s what this Death by Chocolate Poke Cake is all about!
I did two layers of the whipped cream and cream cheese frosting, making one more dark chocolate than the other. You can see the difference in colours above. You don’t have to and again the chocolate ganache and chocolate chips are optional BUT it is a Death by Chocolate Poke cake so go for it. The cake will be super moist and it might be messy but oh what a way to go. I had fun creating this cake and thinking of all the ways I could add more chocolate. My husband and daughter LOVED it but it is super rich.
If you love it as much as we do, let us know by leaving a comment if you’ve tried our Death by Chocolate Poke Cake or are going to. You can also PIN this for later!
Remember you don’t have to add all the toppings that we did but if we didn’t go over the top it wouldn’t be a Death by Chocolate Poke Cake now would it. Besides there’s no such thing as too much chocolate in our opinion. Don’t forget to check out some of our other delicious recipes like this Whipped No Bake Key Lime Pie Recipe