Powered by Mom’s Delicious Chicken Shawarma Bowl with Quinoa Recipe
This Chicken Shawarma Bowl is yummy, healthy and perfect for the busy back to school season!
Our Chicken Shawarma Bowl is so full of flavour and you can make almost all of it ahead of time! Whether you use quinoa or brown rice, white rice or no rice at all as the base for the bowl you will love this delicious recipe. It takes only 25 minutes or less to get this delicious meal on the table. Yet another reason I love it.
I love that I can prepare most if not all of this delicious Chicken Shawarma Bowl ahead in advance to save myself time after school, after a long busy day of work, all of the above or just on those days I’m so tired which is usually because of all of the above. The best part, besides being so tasty, it’s full of healthy ingredients AND you can customize the bowls to have everyone’s favourite veggies. The choice is yours but we’re sharing a few of our favourite ingredients in this tasty meal.
It’s no secret that chicken is my family’s go-to protein for our meals. We make more meals with chicken than anything else and we always buy and eat chicken raised by a Canadian farmer. It’s important to us that our chicken have the raised by a Canadian farmer logo because Canadian chicken is grain-fed, free of hormones and steroids. The quality can’t be beat and we can enjoy our chicken without worrying what might be in it. Make sure to look for the logo below in your grocery store and if you can’t find it ask for it.
Now let’s get onto this delicious Chicken Shawarma Bowl Recipe shall we? To make things easier for you after a busy day you can make the quinoa or rice ahead of time, cut up the veggies ahead of time or for days you’re really pressed for time have some pre-cut veggies on hand. As mentioned I love that we can each customize our bowl to suit our tastes. I can’t eat raw onions but hubby loves them so he adds red onions to his and my daughter and I skip the onions.
I make either a pot of rice or quinoa in advance and put in the fridge until I’m ready to put my bowl together. You can also wait to marinate the veggies so they don’t get soggy. I usually add the dressing to the veggies when I’m ready to put the bowl together, it still gives the veggies plenty of flavour. It’s all up to you, whatever makes it easy for you to get the Chicken Shawarma on the table.
So without further ado here’s how to put this delicious Chicken Shawarma Bowl together.Print
A healthy but yummy meal that you can get ready ahead of time.
For the Shawarma Chicken
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 TBSP olive oil, divided
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper
For the Veggies
- Or use what veggies you like
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- Red Onion (optional)
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped parsley
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
For the Sauce
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 2 TBSP warm water
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
For the Bowls
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, hot or cold – I like the quinoa cold in the bowl but for rice I like it warm
- 1 Naan flatbread, toasted or warmed
- Pat chicken dry with paper towel, then place between two sheets of saran wrap. Using a meat mallet or heavy pan, pound to 1⁄4-inch thickness.
- In a large shallow bowl or resealable plastic bag, combine cumin, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne pepper with lemon juice, minced garlic, and 1 TBSP olive oil. Add chicken and coat with the spices. Set aside to marinate at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- While the chicken marinates, toss together the red onion, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, and parsley. Whisk together the lemon juice, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper and add it to the veggies. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and season both sides with a sprinkle of salt and black pepper as desired. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add chicken and cook until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees), around 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and allow to rest for a couple minutes.
- For the sauce, whisk together the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, warm water, salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- To prep the bowls, divide the quinoa between two bowls, then add the marinated veggies and top with the chicken. Drizzle with the tahini sauce and serve alongside warm naan bread.
Remember you can change the veggies to whatever suits you.
- Serving Size: 2
I know it can look like a lot but this Chicken Shawarma Bowl recipe really can be on your table in under 30 minutes. Once you know what spices to put on the chicken, the veggies you want and have the dressing together it’s easy peasy. Another one of my favourite tips to help simplify your life for back to school is to when you go shopping use the Shopping with Chicken App. Between my hubby and myself we know what we need to get and we don’t double up because we’re using the app. As well we get great cooking tips and more from the app along with recipe ideas from the Chicken.ca website.
PIN this delicious Chicken Shawarma Bowl Recipe for later
Don’t forget to enter the Chicken.ca fabulous Back to School Contest that is on until October 1st. The prize is a $5000 shopping spree! GO HERE to enter.
If you try this Chicken Shawarma Bowl Recipe make sure to let us know how you liked it. We hope you love it as much as we do!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.