doTERRA’S Trio of Citrus Essential Oils
Plus 10 Great Uses for doTERRA’S Trio of Citrus Essential Oils
Citrus Essential Oils Bath Salts DIY & More
This fabulous special edition trio of citrus essential oils from doTERRA not only smell amazing but they also have a ton of every day uses. Read on to find out what they are and why you’ll love them too.
If you want to sign up to buy these amazing oils feel free to contact me or go here to sign up.
doTERRA essential oils is always coming up with new products for their consumers and each year they surprise us with new essential oils, too. This year, for Mother’s Day, they released a set called the Citrus Essential Oils Trio. It sold out quickly, but many people were able to get it in its first release, and then in June, they got more in stock and it is now available for purchase while supplies last. (We are all of course hoping that these oils will stay on and become a permanent addition in the Fall.)
This citrus essential oils trio comes in a pretty coral colored box and has these three oils in it, each in a 5 ml. sized bottle: Kumquat, Sunny Citrus and Red Mandarin.
I am going to give you some information on each individual oil and then 10 recipes you can use to incorporate them into your home.
Citrus essential oils, on the whole, are known for being uplifting and cleansing in nature, and I know I adore every citrus oil so far that I’ve used. They each have their own individual aroma of course, but I find that we all lean towards one or two of them more so than the rest. My personal favorite is Bergamot and then Lime is a close second, although I use Wild Orange daily, too. The best thing you can do is to listen to your body when you are using them and smelling them. Your body will be drawn to the ones that you need most, so if you find your favorite changes, it may be that you are in more need of one at that point in time.
Kumquat Citrus Essential Oil
It smells like a lighter version of a lime or an orange. It has a lovely sweetness to it, but still has that zing that citrus oils always do. It is a supplement oil, so it is safe not only for aromatic and topical use, but also internal use. It has a light and sweet citrus flavor. Great to add a drop to your water intake.
It comes from the rind of the fruit, and is about 75% limonene, as you would expect from a citrus, but this fruit has something other citrus oils don’t have – 46 other constituents that no other essential oil has, out of the 105 it contains. It is known to be a good cleanser, like you would expect, and it is a great mood lifter and will help you feel happy and lighter when diffused or used topically. It has been proven to be a great antioxidant, and good for skin health.
Scientists are still working on this citrus essential oil to find out what else it is good for, with these unknown parts to it, and this could turn out to be a really wonderful oil for other things beyond these.
Red Mandarin Citrus Essential Oil
This Red Mandarin essential oil is my favorite of the three citrus essential oils in the set, and I would describe it to be a sweet citrus but with a floral note that is stronger than expected – in a good way. It could easily be your perfume all by itself. It is an oil supplement, like the kumquat, and so it is safe to use internally.
Some may call the Red Mandarin a tangerine, and when looking at the photo of it, I may have done so myself. It is similar in color and size, and it does smell somewhat like the tangerine essential oil, too. The floral note in it is what changes that and makes it more distinctive.
The Red Mandarin citrus essential oil is called the sweetest of the citrus fruits and when you smell this oil, you can see that.
Its main constituent is limonene, making it a good cleanser, and a mood uplifiter. Red Mandarin also contains one called Gamma-terpinene, which adds even more of a cleansing property to it. This citrus essential oil makes for a fantastic surface cleaner, and is also wonderful for the skin. It is like kumquat in many ways, but takes it up a notch.
Sunny Citrus Essential Oil
This citrus essential oil blend contains some favorite oils: Grapefruit, Orange peel, and peppermint, and it is in a base of fractionated coconut oil, making it already diluted for topical use and also making for a light aroma.
One combination I have used for more than five years of using citrus essential oils and well any essential oils personally, is orange and peppermint. It soothes the tummy, and the mind. But it also uplifts at the same time, so it’s not calming you in the way lavender would, but more of a calming to get rid of anxiety and cheer your mood. I think it is a genius move to put those two oils with grapefruit in this blend.
Grapefruit and Orange are both fantastic oils for your mood. Just inhaling one or both of them will instantly make you feel a difference, lightening the heaviness you may have, and energizing the tiredness. They both have a great sweet aroma, and in a diffuser, can make the room smell so clean and fresh.
Add into those citrus, the mint, and you have a powerful mood lifter. Peppermint is used daily in my home and may be the oil I most frequently have to replace because of its versatility. It is good for bites and stings, or relief of itchiness, soothes a tummy ache and nausea, (and so does the orange!), wakes you up when you feel drowsy, repels bugs, and more.
The oil combination in this can be used for cleansing, skin health, mood lifting, and for soothing muscles and body after a workout or long day.
10 ways to use these three awesome citrus essential oils
- Refreshing Summer Time Drink – In a large, glass pitcher of iced water, add in 2 to 3 drops of kumquat or red mandarin oil. Before each pouring of the water, be sure to stir well, as the oils will go to the surface between times, when it is resting. You can also make it even better by making ice cubes using the oil in the water ahead of time.
- Sweet Citrus Perfume Roller – Using a 5 ml. sized roller ball bottle, combine 15 drops of red mandarin and 12 drops of sunny citrus, topping off with your favorite carrier oil, like fractionated coconut oil. Roll this on your wrists and back of the neck for a wonderful scent that will make you feel cheery, and smell fabulous.
- Revitalizing Citrus Bath salts – You will need an 8 oz. glass jar with lid. In a mixing bowl, combine ¾ cup Epsom salts with ¼ cup baking soda. Once well blended, and making sure all lumps of the salt are removed, add in 6 drops kumquat oil and 4 drops sunny citrus. Blend well and add into your jar. Pour ¼ cup to ½ cup into your bath, under the running water and relax, taking in the properties of the oils.
- Citrus Brownies – Using your favorite brownie recipe or mix, add in 3 drops of red mandarin to the recipe before baking, blending well to disperse. The sweet citrus flavor adds a great addition to the chocolate flavor and everyone will love it!
- Tummy Tamer Roller Blend – Using a 10 ml. sized roller ball bottle, add in 20 drops sunny citrus oil blend, and then add 5 drops peppermint essential oil, and 5 drops wild orange citrus essential oil, topping off with your favorite carrier oil. Rub this on tummy, around belly button area and lower abdomen when feeling sick, or nauseated. Also, adding some to the wrist and inhaling deeply will help relieve it even faster.
- Skin Toning Blend – Using a small spray bottle in a 4 oz. size, and witch hazel, add in 10 drops sunny citrus oil, 4 drops kumquat oil and 2 tsp. water. Shake to blend and then top off with witch hazel. Spray on skin after a shower or just before bed to help even skin tone and clear up blemishes.
- Citrus Tea – Add 2 drops red mandarin or kumquat to a pot of hot tea, or make it iced by adding ice cubes to the tea. The citrus adds a great addition to a black tea especially!
- Uplifting diffuser blend – Depending on your diffuser, you may have to change the amount of oils, but this is intended for one where you put in a little water and a few drops of oils for each use: Use 2 drops sunny citrus plus 2 drops of either red mandarin or kumquat. Run this when you have a tired bunch at home, or for when company is over. It will keep everyone’s mood lighter and more enjoyable and help them feel revitalized.
- Calming Roller Blend – For a night time calming blend, in a 10 ml. roller ball bottle, combine 6 drops kumquat, 4 drops sunny citrus and 10 drops lavender oil and top off with a carrier oil. Roll on to the bottoms of the feet, back of the neck and wrists before bed, or naptime.
- Refreshing citrus scrub – You will need a 12 oz. glass jar with lid for storage. In a mixing bowl, combine 8 oz. sea salt, (the pink Himalayan is my favorite to use, but the white is okay, too), ¼ cup coconut oil, and 3 oz. sugar. Whisk together well and be sure to remove any lumps. Then, add in 5 drops kumquat oil, 7 drops red mandarin oil and 4 drops sunny citrus oil. If you like a good pop of mint in your scrub, you can also add 3 drops of peppermint oil too. Mix all together well and add to your jar. Use a few fingertips full, on wet skin, and rub on to rough areas of the skin, like the hands, elbows, knees, and feet. Rub in until fully broken down and then rinse.
Make sure to check out our other DIY and informative articles on essential oils like the following: