with Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce & Buttercream Icing
This Snickerdoodle Cupcake is an easy dessert topped with fresh buttercream and for a tasty twist homemade salted caramel sauce that makes every bite oh so scrumptious and decadent!
This easy-peasy recipe will leave you with some beautiful and delicious cupcakes that look like an elaborate dessert. No one needs to know how easy it was for you to make them and everyone will love them.
You can whip these up in no time and if the kiddos want to get involved there are lots they can do to help, besides taste testing that is. Have them help mix the batter, measuring the ingredients, sprinkling cinnamon sugar on top of the icing and the list goes on.
If you love cinnamon and of course snickerdoodle cookies you will adore these snickerdoodle cupcakes. To bring them to a whole other level of decadence we also topped some of them off with a homemade caramel sauce because well we love caramel sauce. It’s truly a delicious foodie experience.
Of course, you can skip the caramel sauce but why would you, especially when it comes to our homemade caramel sauce of which we’re sharing that recipe too!
Cinnamon and Vanilla Swirl Frosting
Yep, that’s right we did two frostings to create this delicious swirl although these snickerdoodle cupcakes are delicious all on their own. You can also do either or when it comes to the frosting but it’s amazing when you combine them for this swirl and we’ll give you some tips on how to do it too.
We had to stop ourselves from tasting more than just one of these snickerdoodle cupcakes before we put the frosting no them, they are that tasty just as they are but it’s seriously worth it to do the frosting, so worth it.
Cinnamon Vanilla Swirl Frosting Tip
Fill the piping bag with half of the cinnamon frosting and half of the vanilla frosting. You can use whatever pipe tip you want as any will work. If you do not have a frosting piping bag that’s okay too as you can frost these delicious cupcakes however you want.
If you are using a piping bag just make sure to gently squeeze out any air bubbles and tie the top of the bag and start swirling that icing on.
Can you freeze cupcakes?
Yes, you can but I personally suggest freezing them without frosting, it’s just easier. I haven’t tried freezing them with frosting so can’t speak to how well that works but I would think it’s messier and that the frosting might not hold its shape. If you’ve tried freezing cupcakes with frosting let us know how it worked for you when you defrosted them.
Make sure to use an airtight container that is of course freezer friendly. If you have to stack cupcakes place parchment paper in between the layers so they don’t get stuck together.
If you’d like some more recipe ideas from appetizers to dessert make sure to check out our recipes section for more tasty treats.
You might also love these yummy recipes:
- Baked Mummy Halloween Donuts
- Strawberry Crumble No Churn Ice Cream
- Homemade Cream Cheese Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- Lemon Loaf Recipe With Homemade Glaze
Make sure to PIN this recipe for later!
Homemade Caramel Sauce
Don’t forget that while it’s completely optional we highly recommend adding the caramel sauce because it’s soooo good. It’s also so incredibly easy to make you’ll be making it all the top to put on top of all your sweet treats. Yep, it’s that good and did I mention easy to make?
Now let’s get to this delicious snickerdoodle cupcake recipe shall we?Print
This Snickerdoodle Cupcake is an easy dessert topped with fresh buttercream and for a tasty twist homemade caramel sauce that makes every bite oh so scrumptious and decadent! To make our homemade caramel sauce GO HERE to get the recipe.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled but still in liquid form
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Cinnamon Sugar: 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon + 1/4 cup sugar
Cinnamon & Vanilla Swirl Icing
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3–4 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Place liners in a muffin pan.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In stand mixer bowl and with paddle attachment, mix the butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Turn the mixer to low and add dry ingredients mixture and the milk. Alternate between the dry mix and the milk starting with and ending with the dry mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into the muffin pan to a maximum of ¾ full in the pan for each cupcake. Sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on top of each and reserve any extra for garnish.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cupcakes are set and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
- Once completely cooled you can add the icing to the cupcakes.
Cinnamon and Vanilla Swirl Icing
- With your mixer beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add icing sugar, cream, and vanilla extract.
- Beat on low speed for about 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2-3. If the icing is too thin add more icing sugar and if it’s too thick add more cream.
- Remove half of the frosting from the bowl and transfer to a smaller mixing bowl. Mix 1 tablespoon of cinnamon into half of the icing.
- To swirl the icing, spoon half of the cinnamon frosting into the piping bag and half of the vanilla frosting into the same piping bag. Pipe onto cupcakes.
- There may be leftover frosting depending how much you use on each cupcake.
* When measuring the flour use a spoon to scoop it into the measuring cup and level off with the top of the measuring spoon or a dull bladed knife which is what I usually use.
You can choose to do either the cinnamon or vanilla frosting if you don’t want to do a swirl.
Wilton has a 3-color Piping Bag Coupler that you can also use to get up to 3 different flavors or colors for your icing. You can get it HERE on Amazon if it’s something you’d like to try.
You can also top these cupcakes with chopped pecans for a crunchy addition.
Keywords: snickerdoodle cupcakes, cupcakes, cinnamon, buttercream, frosting, icing, caramel sauch
The photo below gives you an idea of the ideal thickness for the cupcake batter.
Is your tummy rumbling yet over these snickerdoodle cupcakes? Mine sure are and now that means I have to make some more right? Okay have to may not be the right words but want to, craving them now I want them lol
I mean come on and look at these tasty treats, how could my stomach not grumble when I see these? Tell me that’s not just me? It’s not just me, right?
I know you’re going to want to make these and while it looks like a lot of steps it is easy, once you’ve done it once you’ll probably whip right through it after that. Be warned though your waistline may not thank you, however, your tummy and tastebuds will sing your praises.
We’ll leave you with one last photo of these cupcakes. If you make them let us know how you liked them or even if you didn’t we want to know. Please keep in mind any changes to the ingredients can affect the recipe along with other factors including high altitude (yep it really can make a difference).