Tips for Finding a Pet-Friendly Hotel
If you’re planning a vacation with your pets, you will need to do a bit of extra planning and research. You can find a pet-friendly hotel that will allow you to bring your pets along, but you need to do some research first to find out which ones are best for you.
Below is our dog Little Zeus (aka LZ) who thinks he should be pampered wherever he goes. He has been spoiled by many a pet-friendly hotel and we appreciate them letting us bring our beloved dogs with us. Don’t worry we didn’t let LZ sleep on the bed even though he tried but we did give him a few minutes of snuggle time and since he’s only 5lbs we figured no harm. We would never let our bigger dog on a hotel bed.
Most pet-friendly hotels will allow dogs (check out BringFido to search for places), but some do not allow cats. Some don’t allow birds or rodents, either. Some will allow any pet that is kept in a cage or a tank, but not pets that run free. Again, you need to look into the details of their pet policy, not just whether or not they allow pets.We even had an amazing pet-friendly hotel in Seattle the Sorrento (read our review here) welcome our two dogs Luna & LZ with this fun sign. They even had dog beds, dog dishes and treats for our pooches. Now, I wouldn’t expect that from every pet-friendly hotel (in fact few do this) but the Sorrento which is not a large chain hotel, it’s more a boutique hotel was amazing when it came to our dogs.
Here’s what you can do to find a pet-friendly hotel:
- The first thing you need to do is know where you’re going. You can’t look for hotels when you don’t know where you’ll be.
- Then you want to find out the pet policies of hotels you’re considering staying at. If there is a specific hotel or chain your family likes to stay at, you need to find out if they accept pets before your planning goes any further.
- Call them up and ask any questions about their pet policies, fees, and more. It’s not enough just to read their website, since sometimes info can be outdated. Call the exact branch you’re wanting to stay at and make sure you have all the details.
- Once you find the hotel you want to stay at, you may need to book your reservations early. Many pet-friendly hotels have limited rooms and space available for pets, so you will want to be sure you get one of them.
- Once you pick a hotel, you’ll also want to pack your pet’s supplies and have everything your pet(s) needs before you go. Bring favorite toys, blankets, or other special items to make your pet feel more comfortable even while away from home, too.
When investigating the right hotel for you and your pet, look at more than just the fees. You should also look at what amenities they may offer, and how convenient it is for your pets and the rest of your family.
Our dog Luna enjoying the plush dog bed provided at a pet-friendly hotel.Some well-known pet-friendly chains include:
- La Quinta
- Hotel Indigo
- Red Roof Inn
- Four Seasons
- Kimpton Hotels
- Fairmont Hotels and Resorts
These are just a few to consider, but there are certainly many more out there, sometimes it’s a boutique hotel, or cabins at a resort, there might be more options than you think. Do your research, plan your trip, and find a great pet-friendly hotel in the area of your choice.