Here are some tips to help your child get a good night’s sleep (and you too!)
Getting your child settled for bed can be hard especially if you have not set up a routine. Therefore it is important that you start them on a regular routine as soon as possible. It is important for them to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night whenever possible. Here are some tips on helping them to get a good night’s sleep.
- Eliminate Junk Food- Eliminate the junk food before bed. Avoid letting them fill up on sweets and soda before bed. If they should not be able to sleep because they are hungry, give them some toast or sugar-free cereal before bed.
- Feed Them a Big Dinner- Make sure your child has a big dinner. This will satisfy their hunger and also help them to settle down for the night.
- Turn off the TV- Turn off the television 30 minutes before bedtime. This will give them time to prepare for bed. A quiet time before bedtime will also help them to settle down.
- Read to Them- Read them a bedtime story or better yet still, have them read one to you. This will help them to feel drowsy and go to bed with good thoughts.
- Dim the Lights- Just before it is time for them to tuck in under the covers, dim the lights. This will also make them tired and their internal clock will tell them that it is time for bed.
- Wake Them Up Early- Wake them up early every day, even on the weekend. By waking them up at a regular time without allowing them to sleep in will also help their internal clock know when it is time to wake up and time to go to sleep.
Following the above tips will help your child get a good night’s sleep. Do not deviate from your regular routine very much on the weekend. Allow them to stay up an extra half an hour at most. I know that many of these tips are sometimes easier said than done but try to do what you can the majority of the time. We all have off days and nights so don’t beat yourself up over it, we just deal and move on. Good luck and hopefully have a good night’s sleep for you all!