If you love maple donuts from Dunkin Donuts or your local store, try these homemade donuts featuring some of our favourite flavours!
For the doughnuts:
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp. yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 oz.) can pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 6 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
For the maple cream filling:
- 4 cups milk
- 2 oz. cornstarch
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- Combine warm water, yeast, and a pinch of sugar in a small glass bowl and whisk.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes, until yeast begins to bubble.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, beat together eggs, pumpkin puree, canola oil, yeast mixture, 2 cups flour, maple syrup, granulated sugar, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Add remaining flour in 1/2 cup increments until a soft tacky dough comes together. Knead for about 5 minutes, transfer to a large bowl sprayed with cooking spray, cover with a dish towel, and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to 3/4″ thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter or drinking glass to cut out doughnuts until all of the dough is used up. Add frying oil to a fryer and heat to 365 degrees F.
- Fry doughnuts 2-3 at a time for 3 minutes, flipping after about a minute and a half to evenly cook both sides.
- Place on a paper towel-covered plate and let cool completely. Bring milk to a boil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, salt, and eggs in a large bowl and whisk. Pour about a third of milk into the bowl and whisk quickly to combine.
- Add cornstarch mixture to the saucepan and whisk continuously over medium heat until filling thickens.
- Turn off heat and add butter and maple syrup.
- Whisk and allow filling to cool.
- To fill doughnuts, poke a hole in the side of each doughnut that goes all the way through and use a piping bag to pipe the filling into the doughnuts.
- Sprinkle doughnuts with powdered sugar and serve.
Cook time includes frying and cooling of the donuts to adding the powdered sugar
Keywords: donuts, maple donuts, pumpkin donuts, homemade donuts