Learn How to Make Cake Pops with a simple store bought cake mix and a few tools! This step by step recipe is easy for any novice cook.
- Cake mix (you’ll only need half of the cake mix, since most cake mixes make 2 cakes in 8-inch round pans) + the ingredients you need to make it (again, you’ll only need half the amount of each ingredient)
- ½ cup pre-made vanilla icing
- 1 cup white candy melts
- 1 ¼ cup purple candy melts, divided
- 1 ½ tsp coconut oil, divided
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1–2 tbsp milk
- Yellow gel food coloring
- Green decorating frosting
- 24–30 lollipop sticks
- Prepare cake mix according to recipe’s directions and bake in an 8-inch round pan. Allow to cool before proceeding with next steps.
- Crumble the cake in a large bowl and mix in pre-made vanilla icing.
- Line a pan with wax paper and roll the cake crumbs in small spheres, about 1 ½ – 2 inches in size. Chill for 20 minutes.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave ¼ cup of purple candy melts and ½ tsp coconut oil for 30 seconds. Mix until smooth.
- Remove cake spheres from fridge. Dip the tip of a lollipop stick in melted candy then insert into a cake sphere. Repeat for each sphere and refrigerate for another 20 minutes.
- Add the remainder of your purple candy melts in a bowl, along with the white candy melts. Add 1 tsp of coconut oil and microwave in 30-second intervals until completely melted.
- Remove cake from fridge and dip each one into melted candy. Coat thoroughly and place gently back on lined pan.
- Allow the coated cake pops to set in the fridge.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, icing sugar and milk until smooth.
- Add a couple of small drops of yellow gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
- Scoop buttercream into a frosting bag with Wilton’s tip #21 attached.
- Frost a yellow flower on each cake pop by squeezing in a quick, circular motion.
- Attach Wilton tip #59S on your green decorating frosting and give the cake pops leaves. Serve and enjoy!
The prep time listed includes all steps from prepping the cake mix batter, preparing the buttercream, melting the candy melts etc..