Jerk Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa on Coconut Rice
Ever since our first and only trip to Jamaica I’ve been a lover of jerk chicken. I do love me some spicy food but when you pair it with the sweet and tangy flavours of a mango avocado salsa it’s almost divine. To make it even more flavourful but oh what an amazing combination you put that jerk chicken and mango avocado salsa on top of coconut rice, oh my. Your tastebuds will be in a tropical heaven.
We eat a lot of chicken in our family because let’s face it, chicken is a versatile protein that can be cooked in so many delicious ways. Sometimes I need a bit of help with recipe inspiration so I head to Chicken.ca to peruse their extensive recipe selection.
Below you’re getting a sneak peek at the spices used for the jerk chicken.
Once I’ve decided on a recipe or have been inspired by one to do a spin-off of some kind I use their fabulous Grocery App.Their grocery list app lets you create multiple lists, share your lists with other members of your household and browse chicken.ca recipes for healthy meal ideas. I really like the part where I can send hubby the grocery list if I can’t make it to the store. Start using this handy app, you can download it HERE for both Apple and Android phones.
When we do go grocery shopping, chicken is always on the list and we always, buy Raised by a Canadian Farmer chicken. Just look for the Raised by a Canadian Chicken Farmer logo like the one above. If your store doesn’t carry it make sure to ask the manager to start carrying it.Now, who is ready to find out how to make this delicious Jerk Chicken with Mango Avocado Salsa on Coconut Rice? I’m getting hungry again for this tasty dish.Print
Flavourful spicy jerk chicken paired with the slightly sweet and tangy mango avocado salsa on top of coconut rice is a delightful combination. Your tastebuds will thank you for this delicious meal.
Coconut Rice (if you want to include this, it tastes great with the jerk chicken!):
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed well and drained well
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
Chicken & Spice Rub:
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Mango Avocado Salsa:
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Coconut Rice: If making the coconut rice do this first.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, water, coconut milk and salt. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, stir once, then cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed, around 20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff gently with a fork, cover again and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, allspice, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Rinse and pat dry the chicken, then place between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until even in thickness. Brush the chicken with the canola oil, then sprinkle with the spice rub until every breast is thickly covered.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Once hot, coat with a thin layer of oil or cooking spray. Place the chicken in a single layer and cook for 5-6 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. Remove from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil, and allow to rest for five minutes.
Mango Avocado Salsa
- In a large bowl, add the mango, avocado, bell pepper, cilantro, and red onion. Add the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
Serving with Coconut Rice
- To serve, add coconut rice to a plate, top with the jerk chicken, then spoon a hearty helping of the mango avocado salsa over the chicken. Enjoy!
The Mango Avocado Salsa and Coconut Rice also help cool the temperature of the jerk chicken for those who may want it a little less spicy. You can also serve on top of regular rice or with just veggies.
Are you drooling yet for this delicious jerk chicken with mango avocado salsa on coconut rice? I know I am!Before I go and make myself some more of this delicious jerk chicken with mango avocado salsa and coconut rice I want you to know that there’s a #NoNakedChicken Twitter Party on Wednesday April 25, 9pm EST. Prizing is open to ALL of Canada and there will be a $1000 worth of prizes! RSVP on the linky below.
PIN this Jerk Chicken Recipe for later!
If you want to find out more about all things chicken related, make sure to follow Chicken.ca on their social media channels.
I’m going to leave you with one more photo of our Jerk Chicken recipe to get you motivated to make this tasty dish!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.