Flavourful spicy jerk chicken paired with the slightly sweet and tangy mango avocado salsa on top of coconut rice is a delightful combination. Your tastebuds will thank you for this delicious meal.
Coconut Rice (if you want to include this, it tastes great with the jerk chicken!):
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed well and drained well
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups canned full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
Chicken & Spice Rub:
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Mango Avocado Salsa:
- 1 large mango, peeled and diced
- 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Coconut Rice: If making the coconut rice do this first.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, water, coconut milk and salt. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, stir once, then cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until liquid is absorbed, around 20 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff gently with a fork, cover again and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, allspice, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Rinse and pat dry the chicken, then place between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound with the flat side of a meat mallet until even in thickness. Brush the chicken with the canola oil, then sprinkle with the spice rub until every breast is thickly covered.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Once hot, coat with a thin layer of oil or cooking spray. Place the chicken in a single layer and cook for 5-6 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. Remove from heat, cover lightly with aluminium foil, and allow to rest for five minutes.
Mango Avocado Salsa
- In a large bowl, add the mango, avocado, bell pepper, cilantro, and red onion. Add the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning as necessary.
Serving with Coconut Rice
- To serve, add coconut rice to a plate, top with the jerk chicken, then spoon a hearty helping of the mango avocado salsa over the chicken. Enjoy!
The Mango Avocado Salsa and Coconut Rice also help cool the temperature of the jerk chicken for those who may want it a little less spicy. You can also serve on top of regular rice or with just veggies.