Lemongrass Chicken Noodle Bowl Recipe that is a twist on a Vietnamese dish. Simple to make, light, refreshing and the perfect lunch for on the go.
Meat and Marinade
- 4 chicken breasts or 6-8 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 4 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 stalks lemongrass using only the white part which is about 1/3 of the stalk.
- 6 tbsp. water
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1.5 – 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Garlic Clove (optional) finely chopped
- 1 Chili (optional)
- 1 package of Vermicelli Noodles (250g)
- 2 carrots julienned
- 1 cucumber, sliced or julienned whichever you prefer
- Iceberg lettuce sliced – One head for 4 bowls
- Thai Basil – to taste
- Mint Leaves – to taste
- Cilantro/Coriander (optional)
- Sliced chili (for garnish – optional)
- Lime wedges (to serve – optional)
- ¼ cup of crushed peanuts (optional)
- *Feel free to add whatever fresh veggies you like
- Combine Meat and Marinade ingredients and set aside for at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours. (See Note 1 below)
- Combine boiling water and sugar to melt sugar. The add the rest of the Nước chấm ingredients and mix well. Adjust to your taste (spiciness, lime juice etc..) and set aside. Can top with garlic and chili seeds
- Soak the vermicelli noodles in hot water for 3 minutes (or according to package instructions), then drain and rinse under cold water. This prevents the noodles sticking to each other.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a pan over medium heat (or heat a grill). Remove chicken from marinade, shaking off large bits of lemongrass (small bits should fall off during cooking).
- Place chicken in the pan and cook each side until light golden brown for chicken breasts or darker golden brown for chicken thighs.
- Remove from pan, shaking off any remaining bits of visible lemongrass and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Slice into pieces.
- Individual bowls: Place noodles in bowl. Then either top or lightly toss through the vegetables and herbs, and top with chicken pieces. Drizzle with a few tablespoons of Nước chấm, crushed peanuts (optional), fresh herbs of choice (I prefer Thai basil and mint but many like cilantro as well).
Note 1 – If you have a food processor combine all the meat marinade ingredients in the processor. Alternatively finely chop the lemongrass and garlic cloves. If the lemongrass is not finely chopped do slightly larger slices that you can easily remove after the chicken has been cooked. Lemongrass in bigger pieces is hard and chewy. You don’t need to keep it on the chicken once cooked as it will have gained a lot of flavour from when it marinated.
Note 2 – top noodle bowl with as little or as much Nước chấm as you want but you will find it gives it a great flavour.
- Serving Size: 653g
- Calories: 542
- Sugar: 16.9g
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58.2g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 39g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
Keywords: Noodle bowl recipes , Lemongrass recipes, easy noodle bowl, best noodle bowl, lemongrass chicken, Nước chấm, Vietnamese food