Saving Money the Smart Way with Nest Smart Thermostat & Netgear DST Router #BBYConnectedHome
We’ve learned a smart way to save money that also makes our lives easier! With the Nest Smart Thermostat which is a sleek design with a fabulous display that connects with our home’s Wi Fi network. In conjunction with the Nest app that is available for free on iTunes or GooglePlay we can manage the temperature of our home from our smartphone, tablet or laptop whether we’re at home or travelling!
This is the new 3rd generation version, which is thinner, sleeker in design, and allows for a bigger, crisper display than the prior 2nd generation version.
To get the most out of your Nest, connect to your existing home’s Wi Fi network and download the free app from iTunes or GooglePlay – this allow you to manage your home’s temp from your smartphone, tablet or laptop, even when you’re miles away.
What I love about the Nest Smart Thermostat
- I can set the temperature of the house from wherever I happen to be, even if it’s miles away! Those days of me having to hobble upstairs when my knees are sore to change the thermostat are over! I can adjust it from my phone, I love it! We can come home to a warm house if we’ve been out all day at work or travelling.
- You can set it to accommodate your schedule and temperature preferences
Here’s a picture of ours in use. As you can see it says in 20 minutes the temperature in the house will be 73 degrees. I love how easy it is to adjust the thermostat and really how little work it is for me!
- There’s a reason it’s called Nest SMART thermostat, within a week the Nest learning thermostat starts programming itself. It learns your habits and adjusts automatically, regulating your home’s temperature based on your schedule – which can save you energy and money. When you’re not at home (the “Away” mode), it will automatically switch to an energy-efficient temperature. In independent studies, the Nest saved an average of 10-12% on heating and 15% on cooling bills. I love it as we’ve been guilty in the past of forgetting to adjust our thermostat when we’re away and have wasted precious heat which of course meant a higher heating bill.
- You can track your energy usage with the Nest app. It also gives you tips on how to conserve so you too can lower your heating bill!
- I love how the thermostat lights up as you walk but so it’s like a night light but you also don’t have to go turning on any lights if you want to adjust the Nest Thermostat before bedtime.
This picture of our Nest thermostat shows you how bright the thermostat display looks like at night. In this picture there are no lights on and as you can see the display is bright and easy to see. Don’t worry it wasn’t that cold here, we were playing around with it and the temperature in this picture is in celsius 🙂
- Nest provides peace of mind by sending you alerts and reminders as it monitors your heating/cooling equipment, and tells you if anything is not working correctly. It will also tell you if your home’s temperature goes above or below what you set your limits to be. I told you it’s smart!
The Nest thermostat app is easy to use and with it you can adjust temperatures, sect schedules if you want, put in parameters, check on your house’s temperature when you’re away and so much more! Here’s a picture of different screens from our Nest thermostat app on my phone.
As you can see from the pictures of the app I took it’s easy to figure out where everything is and how to set things up, adjust, program and more!
Netgear Nighthawk DST Router and DST Adapter with Geek Squad
As mentioned the Nest thermostat runs on wifi so naturally we wanted to have a top quality wifi router to keep Nest Smart thermostat connected. So naturally we were thrilled that we also received the Netgear® Nighthawk™ DST Router and DST Adapter with Geek Squad included which is new and exclusively at Best Buy. I’m also a Netgear ambassador and the reason I am is I believe that Netgear is one of the best out there when it comes to their equipment like their routers!
Netgear Industry Leader
Netgear truly is an industry in the networking world so it’s natural that Netgear and Best Buy teamed up to provided this fabulous device. Did you know that the average US household has 7 “connected devices” – from smart phones (often several in a home), to tablets, to laptops, to computers, and Wi-Fi printers, this puts a strain on the home’s network, especially the router.
Gamers will love it!
With the interest in online gaming and 4k TVs, connected devices such as smart thermostats, plus the need to stream shows from Netflix or hulu, it places even more demands on the network. Many households may experience slow Wi-Fi, dropped calls, or experience “dead zones” – which could be improved upon with an “AC” router, Wi-Fi extenders and expert help.
Have all your devices connected!
Now thanks to this high performance router we can all have 10+ connected devices, prioritize those devices for streaming and it has advanced feature for lag-free gaming, something my gaming family is very appreciative of! Better yet when Best Buy customers purchase this fabulous router they will receive an email that day (sent to their phone or address as they designate) with set up instructions. This is in addition to the information includes on and in the box. It was fairly easy to set up but I did go and watch the video as well HERE
Geek Squad Included
Don’t worry though if you need some help because the Geek Squad will be there for you! The service is avasilable via phone and web and bet this it allows customers to get help 24/7, when you need it, so you don’t have to schedule an appointment!
Are we happy with our Nest Thermostat and Netgear Router?
In two works HECK YES. They are both technology at it’s best to make things easier for us, help us save money and conserve our energy. What’s not to love?
If you try one and or have any questions on how we personally use it and like it feel free to comment we’d love to hear from you!
The reviewer has been compensated in the form of a Best Buy Gift Card and/or received the product/service at a reduced price or for free.