Powered by Mom’s Pizza Spaghetti Squash Recipe
We have a new favourite recipe and it’s Pizza Spaghetti Squash! Meat & Veggie Options
Pizza Spaghetti Squash, say what? I know it sounds a bit strange but I promise it’s so yummy and just like regular pizza you can just add your favourite toppings. I used one spaghetti squash for this recipe and made both a veggie version and a meat version. It turned out even better than I thought and oh my goodness it’s so filling. In my opinion it’s really the herbs that give it all of it’s full flavour.
One of the reasons I did this recipe is that I’m part of a “no-carbs” challenge for 30 days with a few other fabulous bloggers. What we’re actually doing is cutting down on stuff like wheat, white potatoes, rice and refined sugars. Cutting down the wheat part was easy for me as I don’t eat a lot of bread or pasta but cutting down rice and sugars has been a little harder. However the good part is that I’ve been inspired to be more creative with what I cook, after all a gal can’t live on salad alone! I’ll be linking to the yummy spaghetti squash recipes that the other bloggers of the #NoCarbQueens challenge have created. So many yummy recipes so little time.
The photos above are the Veggie Pizza Spaghetti Squash. It was my favourite of the two but that’s no surprise as I generally like veggie pizzas better too. It has portobello mushrooms, tomato and a few different herbs. In the first photo I also topped it with fresh basil, oh my that just perfectly finished this dish, I do love fresh basil on my veggie pizzas and oh so many other things too.
As I’m sure you can guess the photo below is the pepperoni pizza spaghetti squash. It’s quite good, I used a spicy pepperoni because I like spicy. I also layered the cheese and pepperoni twice to fill the spaghetti squash. Next time I won’t layer because it’s really not needed, I was so full I couldn’t even finish it in one sitting and I do mean just half the squash not a whole one.
These are easy to make but due to baking the spaghetti squash it does take a bit of time, it’s worth the wait and you can feel good about cutting down on carbs. Yes it still has cheese but darn it all I can’t cut out everything but you can reduce the cheese too.
Let’s get on to this recipe shall we? Forgive me I’m not a “measure” every ingredient gal and I think for the spices you need to put as much or as little as your palate prefers.Print
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half, seeded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Garlic, oregano, basil & chives to taste (whatever spices you like on pizza). I used 2 tbsp of garlic for the whole squash
- 2 tbsp pizza sauce (herbed tomato sauce) 1 tbsp per half squash unless you like more sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese or Italian Cheese mix (I used a mix) – 1/4 cup for each half of the squash
- Parmesan cheese flakes – however little or as much as you like
Veggie Toppings I used
- 1/4 of a large portobello mushroom – sautee in olive oil, garlic & rosemary
- 1/4 of a fresh tomato
Meat Toppings for meat version
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise remove seed.
- Coat the flesh of the squash with olive oil
- Season with garlic & oregano
- Bake at 425F for 50 minutes or until the squash has started to soften
- Remove from oven once softened
- Use a fork and fluff up the squash while still in the shell
- Lightly coat with pizza sauce
- Add your pizza toppings
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Let me know if you try it. Now check out these other fabulous recipes.