Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Squares with Cream Cheese Icing Recipe
Who Loves Yummy Desserts?!
If you’re like me you love baked goods especially this time of the year and what could be better than chocolate, pumpkin and cream cheese icing? Why all of them put together of course! Seriously this one is a bit decadent especially when you factor in the cream cheese icing but what the heck you can enjoy one square, two square or three don’t worry I won’t tell anyone. I will warn you though it may be hard to stop at one square but if you have them in moderation then you don’t have to feel guilty about them.
Now don’t those look delicious and trust me they are so moist. I love chocolate and pumpkin together, they pair quite nicely and again hello cream cheese icing! I’m a total sucker for cream cheese icing, I like it a little too much as my waist line sometimes wishes I didn’t like it so much. Good thing that once I bake these they don’t last long, the family gobbles them up and I usually get one or two. That’s okay makes me appreciate them even more the next time I bake them 🙂
Now lets get on to this Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Squares with Cream Cheese Icing Recipe! Are you ready, here we go and just another tip you might want to double the batch as these will go quickly, especially for those who loved pumpkin flavored baked goods!
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- chocolate chips (semi sweet or milk chocolate) add however little or much you want.
- 2 packages of cream cheese (the bricks 8 ounces) softened
- 1/3 cup butter softened
- 2 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 or 9 inch square or round pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, sugar blend, egg, egg whites and oil in large mixer bowl and beat well.
- Add the flour, baking powder, cocoa, cinnamon, allspice, salt and nutmeg and beat until smooth and spread into pan.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes.
- Let cool completely and layer with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Tip: you can add some chocolate chips in the batter if you want some right in the squares, it's a tasty option!
- In a medium to large bowl cream with a blender on low the cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- Add vanilla
- Gradually add the icing sugar
- Mix thoroughly but don't over mix
- Cool in fridge until use
Now as I mentioned in the recipe if you want an extra chocolate flavor and you like that melted chocolate in bars taste then just add some of those chocolate chips to the batter and bake it that way. I personally love this way as I love chocolate but I definitely use the semi-sweet chocolate chips as I don’t want it too sweet. I find the cream cheese icing is sweet enough for all of it and it’s so rich so semi-sweet chocolate chips are for me but I know some people like milk chocolate better. It’s all good it’s chocolate you can’t go wrong.
I like this recipe with coffee, tea, take to school for parties and well it works almost any time as almost everyone seems to like baked goods with pumpkin or chocolate or both! It’s always a hit no matter where I’ve taken it and as I mentioned it never lasts at home.
We hope you like the Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Squares with Cream Cheese Icing Recipe as much as we do!