- 1 Box Red Velvet Cake Mix (plus ingredients listed on the box to make the cake)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 16–20 oz white melting chocolate
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- Preheat oven according to directions on cake mix box.
- Prepare a 9 x 13 inch cake pan by spraying with cooking spray. Prepare the cake and bake according to instructions on the box. Allow the cake to cool completely. Then, using your hands, crumble the cake in a large bowl.
- Add the softened cream cheese to the crumbled cake. Using your fingers, gently but fully, incorporate the softened cream cheese.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the cake mixture and roll in your hands, making a ball. Place on cookie sheet. Repeat until all the cake mix is used. (I got 35 balls).
- Insert a toothpick into each cake ball and set the cookie sheet in the refrigerator to chill.
- While the cake balls are chilling, melt white chocolate. You can use the microwave or a double boiler for this. I prefer to use a double boiler, as it keeps the chocolate smooth and at the right consistency. With the microwave method, you may have to reheat at intervals to keep it consistent.
- Remove cake balls form the fridge. While holding the toothpick, dip into the melted chocolate. Gently tap the hand holding the toothpick with your other hand to remove excess chocolate. Sit each cake ball back on the wax paper and set them back in the fridge until chocolate is firm.
- Gently remove the toothpicks. You can cover the hole in the next step.
- In a small plastic baggie, melt the dark chocolate in the microwave. Cut a VERY small tip off one corner of the bag. As an alternative, I like using a toothpick to prick a small hole in the corner of the bag.
- Pipe the melted dark chocolate across the tops of the truffles. For a fun twist, you can also use sprinkles or colored sugar!
- Store in refrigerator.