Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake
Make this Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake with a simple cake mix and homemade coconut pudding that will wow your tastebuds and look like you slaved for hours in the kitchen! Make sure to check out our Death by Chocolate Poke Cake too!
- Chocolate cake mix – we used a Devil’s Food Cake this time but we’ve also used German Chocolate and a regular chocolate cake mix. Choose your favourite.
- Ingredients needed to make cake (egg whites, oil & water)
- Can of Coconut Milk (full fat) or some cans say coconut cream
- Sweetened coconut flakes
- Vegetable Oil
What is the difference between cream of coconut, coconut milk and coconut cream?
Coconut milk: Coconut milk has a similar consistency to regular milk and is used as the basis for Thai curries. A can of coconut milk will have cream that rises to the top, it’s thick, there’s no missing it, this is coconut cream as well (see below)
Coconut cream: Coconut cream is thick and rich it is four parts shredded coconut in one part water.
Cream of coconut: Cream of coconut is a sweetened version of coconut cream and you can usually find it with the cocktail mixes. It has added sugar so it’s not the same as using coconut cream. For this recipe, you can use full-fat coconut milk and use the entire can or you can use coconut cream but NOT cream of coconut unless you skip the sugar for the pudding.
If you don’t have time to check out or try this tasty chocolate coconut poke cake now make sure to PIN it for later!
Spreading Topping Tip
HOW DO YOU MAKE Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake?
- Prepare cake batter to package directions
- Poke holes in the cake (optional scrape off (slice) the top layer of cake to even out instead of having it domed shaped)
- Add homemade coconut pudding
- Optional – top with whipped cream or better yet stabilized whipped cream (see recipe notes & separate recipe)
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut or if you prefer just sweetened (untoasted) shredded coconut
Check out our recipe video to see how easy it is to make this delicious chocolate coconut poke cake!
This chocolate coconut poke cake really is that easy to make! Now here’s the full recipe, who’s ready to make this tasty dessert?!Print
Make this Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake with a simple cake mix and homemade coconut pudding that will wow your tastebuds and look like you slaved for hours in the kitchen!
- 1 package boxed Devil’s Food Cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 can coconut cream (or full fat coconut milk – see our section in our post about the difference)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Beat together cake mix, water, and vegetable oil until smooth, and pour into a 9×13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick. You can also use any box cake you like and follow instructions on the box for this step.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until the middle is thoroughly cooked.
- Once cooked, let cool completely. If your cake top isn’t flat, you may need to cut off the top.
- Poke rows of holes into the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon, and set aside.
- Make your pudding by whisking together coconut cream, heavy cream, sugar, and egg over medium-high heat for around 10 minutes. Stir frequently, and your pudding will thicken as it cooks. You can also ass vanilla or coconut extract if you would like.
- Let pudding cool, and it will thicken more. Pour over your cake and smooth out.
- Top with toasted coconut, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Optional topping which is my favourite is before sprinkling on the toasted coconut top with a stabilised whipped cream and then add the toasted coconut. This is a whole new decadent level. See notes for how to make our favourite stabilised whipped cream.
Cake options: We have used Devil’s Food Cake in the photos here but also love German chocolate cake, regular chocolate cake and hey if you really want you can use a white cake, vanilla cake or go over the top and make it with a coconut cake. Choose your favourite, but our favourites are either Devil’s Food or German chocolate cake.
We explain in our post the difference between coconut milk, coconut cream and cream of coconut. You can only use 1 of 2 of those in this recipe.
Check out in our full post how to make stabilized whipped cream as this is an amazing additional topping to this chocolate coconut poke cake. It brings it up to to a ultra-decadent level.
Keywords: coconut poke cake, chocolate poke cake, chocolate coconut poke cake, coconut pudding
Here’s the recipe for stabilized whipped cream that makes this dessert ultra-decadent but it’s totally optional and the cake is so good as is too!Print
Take our chocolate coconut poke cake (or any dessert) to a whole new level with this stabilized whipped cream made from cream cheese and just 3 more ingredients. It’s divine!
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened for at room temperature
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Beat the softened cream cheese with the icing sugar (aka confectioner’s sugar) and vanilla until soft and creamy in a small to medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the whipping cream until soft peaks form. Make sure they are not stiff peaks.
- Add the cream cheese to the whipping cream in thirds.
- Beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Use or store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Now you could use a mix for the coconut pudding but our homemade coconut pudding is so easy to make and it just makes this cake that much better. Whether it’s topped with the stabilized whipped cream, toasted coconut or untoasted this cake is so scrumptious.This chocolate coconut poke cake never lasts long whether I’ve made it for the family or a gathering, with or without the stabilized whipped cream it’s always a hit!
Would you add the stabilized whippec cream to thsi cake or eat it as is? If you make it, make sure to let us know how you liked it!
Make sure to check out some of our other delicious recipes in our recipe section like these tasty desserts below.
- Sugar Cookie Bars With Chocolate Ganache
- 3 Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Mousse
- Homemade Donuts Recipe: Maple Pumpkin Maple Creme
- Upside Down Apple Cake Recipe
- Mini No Bake Lemon Cheesecake Recipe
Don’t forget if you haven’t pinned this recipe yet do it now!
If you love coconut but want a bit more chocolate – check out this recipe for chocolate coconut bon bons!
Here are some of the items we used to make this cake: