Make this Chocolate Coconut Poke Cake with a simple cake mix and homemade coconut pudding that will wow your tastebuds and look like you slaved for hours in the kitchen!
- 1 package boxed Devil’s Food Cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 can coconut cream (or full fat coconut milk – see our section in our post about the difference)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Beat together cake mix, water, and vegetable oil until smooth, and pour into a 9×13 baking dish sprayed with nonstick. You can also use any box cake you like and follow instructions on the box for this step.
- Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until the middle is thoroughly cooked.
- Once cooked, let cool completely. If your cake top isn’t flat, you may need to cut off the top.
- Poke rows of holes into the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon, and set aside.
- Make your pudding by whisking together coconut cream, heavy cream, sugar, and egg over medium-high heat for around 10 minutes. Stir frequently, and your pudding will thicken as it cooks. You can also ass vanilla or coconut extract if you would like.
- Let pudding cool, and it will thicken more. Pour over your cake and smooth out.
- Top with toasted coconut, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Optional topping which is my favourite is before sprinkling on the toasted coconut top with a stabilised whipped cream and then add the toasted coconut. This is a whole new decadent level. See notes for how to make our favourite stabilised whipped cream.
Cake options: We have used Devil’s Food Cake in the photos here but also love German chocolate cake, regular chocolate cake and hey if you really want you can use a white cake, vanilla cake or go over the top and make it with a coconut cake. Choose your favourite, but our favourites are either Devil’s Food or German chocolate cake.
We explain in our post the difference between coconut milk, coconut cream and cream of coconut. You can only use 1 of 2 of those in this recipe.
Check out in our full post how to make stabilized whipped cream as this is an amazing additional topping to this chocolate coconut poke cake. It brings it up to to a ultra-decadent level.
Keywords: coconut poke cake, chocolate poke cake, chocolate coconut poke cake, coconut pudding