Make this Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe as a wonderful healthy and versatile option for your meal plan. Serve alone, with pasta or even as a meatball sandwich.
- 2lbs (907g) of ground chicken
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Fresh Italian parsley, chopped (you can use regular parsley)
- Pinch of salt
- Ground Pepper
- 1/2 cup (60g) of Panko breadcrumbs (you can also use regular or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (475ml) of crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of marinara sauce (add more if you want it to be more “saucy”)*
- 2 tbsp of Italian Herb Mix (I did my own with Basil, Oregano & Rosemary)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (35g) grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 cups (200g) shredded mozzarella cheese (to top the meatballs and sauce at the end)
- 1 tbsp Italian Herb Mix
**Optional Add Pasta
- 270g (9.5oz) of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Penne pasta
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- In a bowl combine ground chicken, Italian herb mix, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian parsley, egg and Panko breadcrumbs, mix to combine and then form into meatballs (amount will depend on the size you make them). **if you prefer you can cook the pasta (if adding) in the slow cooker, if you wish to do that add them in alternating layers with the meatballs and sauce at this step.
- Place the meatballs into the sauce
- Set slow cooker on low for 6 hours
- **If adding pasta do this step, otherwise go to step 7.** when the meatballs are close to being cooked, boil your pasta. I don’t “cooking” pasta in the slow cooker but you can try if you prefer.
- Stir the cooked pasta in with the meatballs and sauce.
- *Optional* Mix the ricotta with the egg and spoon this on to the top of the meatballs and sauce in the crockpot.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and grated parmesan on top and season to taste with Italian herb mix, salt & pepper.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook until the cheese is melted the grill/broil until cheese is melted and golden on top.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh Italian parsley.
You can use regular breadcrumbs or Italian seasoned ones instead of Panko if you prefer.
* If you want the base to be less tomato sauce like you can substitute the marinara for chicken broth
** We prefer to cook the pasta in water instead of in the slow cooker. However, if you prefer you can cook the pasta (if adding) in the slow cooker, if you wish to do that add them in alternating layers with the meatballs and sauce.
*** Whether you add the pasta or not we personally like the ricotta topping but it is optional
These meatballs make for a great meatball sandwich. If you want to do sandwiches you of course don’t have to add the pasta, it’s completely optional.
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 550
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 47g
Keywords: slow cooker chicken meatballs recipe, chicken meatballs, crockpot, meatball sandwich