Three Cheese Pesto Chicken Pasta Bake Recipe
Make ahead and freeze for a rain day three cheese pesto chicken pasta bake.
Now that summer is over (boo) and we’re back into the full swing of school which means crazy busy schedules, rainy cold days and more I like to simplify our meals as much as possible. This three-cheese pesto chicken bake helps me to do that as it’s a meal we can make ahead and put in the freezer for another day or even use up leftover chicken in it. Anything I can do to get a delicious dinner on the table with little prep after a long, busy day is a winner in my opinion.
This three cheese pesto chicken pasta bake helps to make a busy week a little bit easier. I can put it all together on a day off, freeze it and take it out when we’ve had a busy day. It can go from the freezer to the oven (if in an appropriate dish) and walk away until it’s all ready to eat. We definitely have days where it’s helpful to not have to do the dinner prep, freezer to oven is perfect. This three cheese pesto chicken pasta bake is a comfort food on those cold, grey days. It’s become a new family favourite. I make sure to make a big batch so that it will last a few days and we can even put some in a thermos to take for lunch at work or my daughter to school.We always make sure to buy chicken raised by a Canadian Chicken Farmer. We know we’re getting quality chicken that has been raised to the highest standards of care when we see the Chicken Farmers of Canada logo below.
Canadian chicken is a healthy choice is that it’s grain-fed, free of added hormones and steroids, and raised right here in Canada according to nationally-set, high food safety and animal care standards. There is a mandatory, robust, third- party-audited Animal Care Program that is administered across all Canadian chicken farms.
Now who is ready to find out how to make this delicious three cheese pesto chicken pasta bake? I’m getting hungry!
This recipe for a Chicken Pasta Bake is versatile, quick, easy and packed with delicious flavor. Add spinach, mushrooms or your favorite sauce for a family favorite!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 ½ cups asiago cheese, grated
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz rotini pasta
- 1 ½ lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1” cubes
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1 ½ cups fresh baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- ⅓ cup pesto
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the minced garlic, stirring until fragrant, around 30 seconds. Add the flour and whisk into a paste.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking continuously, until smooth and combined. Add the cream cheese and stir until smooth and thick, around 5 minutes. Stir in the asiago cheese and season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a greased 13×9 pan, add the rotini pasta, chicken, spinach, and mushrooms. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, then gently pour the sauce over the dish and stir. Drizzle the pesto over the top of the dish, then add the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and enjoy!
For freezer prep: prepare dish as above, but instead of baking, cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw completely before baking (especially for glass dishware), or bake from frozen at 350 degrees for 45 mins covered with foil and 30 minutes uncovered.
Keywords: chicken dinner, chicken recipe, Chicken pesto pasta ,Chicken pasta, Pasta bake recipe, Chicken pasta bake, Baked pasta dishes, Chicken spinach pasta, Chicken pasta dish, Chicken mushroom pasta
Now doesn’t that make your mouth water? Wouldn’t your family love to try this three cheese pesto chicken pasta bake? All that goodness in one dish that leaves you filling full and satisifed. We hope you love this three cheese pesto chicken pasta bake as much as we do. You can substitute with your favourite cheese and of course leave out the spinach and/or mushrooms if you wish but why would you? Feel free to PIN this yummy recipe for later.
Don’t forget to check our recipes section for more yummy recipes from desserts to appetizers and more HERE.
More info about Chicken Farmers of Canada can be found HERE
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.