Here’s a question my husband posed to me recently about his small business “why should I have a toll free number?”. He thinks because his business is small owner/operator business, and goes from job site to job site that he does not need a toll free number.
Our debate came up as I am in the midst of setting up a home based business. Unlike my husband, I won’t be going from job site to job site. He thinks it makes sense for my home based business to have a toll free number, as all of my potential clients will be ordering products online from everywhere across the United States and Canada. It makes sense then for me to have a toll free number. Not everyone realizes that almost every type and size of business would benefit from a toll free number.
Why do you ask would they all benefit from having toll free numbers? Here are just a few reasons why:
- Whether a big or small company what future client will call you if they have to pay to do so?
- Even if you have email or a contact form on your website people (your potential customers) still like to know they can call a “real” person if they need help or have questions
- It provides another level of better customer service for your clients
- Toll free numbers are easier to remember especially if you get one customized for you.
- If someone wants a question answered they want that answer now. They don’t always want to wait for an email response
- Which leads to me this point, today people are all about convenience and multi-tasking. How many people have you seen, at the airport, a restaurant or coffee shop making that quick call or texting or (you get the idea) on their iPhones and Blackberries? We’ve all seen it and have even done that ourselves. They want & expect that easy & convenient access to the companies that they do business with, and if you want their business you need to provide that access.
- If your clients know they can reach you in a timely manner, and you provide excellent customer service they will call you again which is what you want. You want to build a business relationship with them. They call and buy your products and you provide that product and excellent customer service. Makes sense right?
I think I almost have my husband convinced now to get a toll free number for his business. I also did add that there are additional bonuses for us to have a toll free number.
- We can answer the calls in our pajamas and no one would be the wiser
- Not only can we answer the calls in our pajamas we can do it while sipping our coffee, have our bagel nearby and yet we can still sound professional even if it’s chaos around us.
Those are totally benefits for me as I mentioned I work from home and need to show that my business is professional and provides wonderful customer service. Working from home doesn’t mean I can’t be but having that toll free number helps me to provide a higher level of customer service to my clients. So why wouldn’t I have one?
What do you think about toll free numbers? Who has one for their small business? I’d love to hear about it so please feel free to comment.
I am participating in a blogger campaign by Bucks2Blog and was compensated. However, the views and opinions are my own.