Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe
The weather is getting chilly, fall is here and winter is on the way which makes it a perfect time to pull out the crockpot/slow cooker. So how about this tasty slow cooker chicken meatballs recipe?
Make Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe as a wonderful healthy and versatile option for your meal plan. Serve alone or with pasta or you can make a meatball sandwich!
Psst, there’s also a fabulous giveaway happening, check it out after the recipe!
Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe
I don’t know about you but we love meatballs and they’re more versatile than you might think. You can easily have this become a pasta bake type of meal by adding pasta. We give you a few meal options for this tasty chicken meatballs recipe.
Slow Cooker Meatball Recipe Tips & Options
We’ve already mentioned adding pasta (don’t worry we give the details below and in the recipe) but how about a meatball sandwich. I know some people love meatball sandwiches and these chicken meatballs are moist and tasty. Yes, really they are not dry at all I promise.
- You can use regular breadcrumbs or Italian seasoned ones instead of Panko if you prefer.
- If you want the base to be less tomato sauce like you can substitute the marinara for chicken broth
- We prefer to cook the pasta in water instead of in the slow cooker. However, if you prefer you can cook the pasta (if adding) in the slow cooker, if you wish to do that add them in alternating layers with the meatballs and sauce.
- Whether you add the pasta or not we personally like the ricotta topping but it is optional
These meatballs make for a great meatball sandwich. If you want to do sandwiches you of course don’t have to add the pasta, it’s completely optional.Hmmm, doesn’t this slow cooker chicken meatball recipe in a sandwich look tasty? It’s so filling so it’s not always for me but my hubby loves them. Just think of all the time you can save with this chicken meatball recipe, especially on a weeknight. You’re pretty much-throwing everything in the crockpot and walking away for hours. You can make it into different meals, another reason I love it for the tastiness and versatility.
Why we only buy chicken with the raised by a Canadian Chicken Farmer logo
I’m sure you’ve seen me say it before but it bears repeating, my family and I only buy chicken with the raised by a Canadian Chicken Farmer logo (see below). Why?
Canadian chicken is a healthy choice is that it’s grain-fed, free of added hormones and steroids, and raised right here in Canada according to nationally-set, high food safety and animal care standards.
- There is a mandatory, robust, third- party-audited Animal Care Program that is administered across all Canadian chicken farms.
- Canadian chicken farmers adhere to a strict mandatory On-Farm Food Safety Program.
There are many more reasons but those are just a few them!
Let’s get on to this chicken meatballs recipe shall we and then we can tell you about the awesome giveaway!Print
Make this Slow Cooker Chicken Meatballs Recipe as a wonderful healthy and versatile option for your meal plan. Serve alone, with pasta or even as a meatball sandwich.
- 2lbs (907g) of ground chicken
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Fresh Italian parsley, chopped (you can use regular parsley)
- Pinch of salt
- Ground Pepper
- 1/2 cup (60g) of Panko breadcrumbs (you can also use regular or Italian seasoned breadcrumbs)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups (475ml) of crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of marinara sauce (add more if you want it to be more “saucy”)*
- 2 tbsp of Italian Herb Mix (I did my own with Basil, Oregano & Rosemary)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup (35g) grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 cups (200g) shredded mozzarella cheese (to top the meatballs and sauce at the end)
- 1 tbsp Italian Herb Mix
**Optional Add Pasta
- 270g (9.5oz) of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- Penne pasta
- Place all the ingredients for the sauce into the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- In a bowl combine ground chicken, Italian herb mix, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian parsley, egg and Panko breadcrumbs, mix to combine and then form into meatballs (amount will depend on the size you make them). **if you prefer you can cook the pasta (if adding) in the slow cooker, if you wish to do that add them in alternating layers with the meatballs and sauce at this step.
- Place the meatballs into the sauce
- Set slow cooker on low for 6 hours
- **If adding pasta do this step, otherwise go to step 7.** when the meatballs are close to being cooked, boil your pasta. I don’t “cooking” pasta in the slow cooker but you can try if you prefer.
- Stir the cooked pasta in with the meatballs and sauce.
- *Optional* Mix the ricotta with the egg and spoon this on to the top of the meatballs and sauce in the crockpot.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella and grated parmesan on top and season to taste with Italian herb mix, salt & pepper.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook until the cheese is melted the grill/broil until cheese is melted and golden on top.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh Italian parsley.
You can use regular breadcrumbs or Italian seasoned ones instead of Panko if you prefer.
* If you want the base to be less tomato sauce like you can substitute the marinara for chicken broth
** We prefer to cook the pasta in water instead of in the slow cooker. However, if you prefer you can cook the pasta (if adding) in the slow cooker, if you wish to do that add them in alternating layers with the meatballs and sauce.
*** Whether you add the pasta or not we personally like the ricotta topping but it is optional
These meatballs make for a great meatball sandwich. If you want to do sandwiches you of course don’t have to add the pasta, it’s completely optional.
- Serving Size: 1 plate
- Calories: 550
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 700mg
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 47g
Keywords: slow cooker chicken meatballs recipe, chicken meatballs, crockpot, meatball sandwich
What do you think? It may look complicated at first but I promise this chicken meatballs recipe is not and it can give you several meals! Now I have to admit, I made mine extra cheesy. The recipe has less cheese than what my photo above shows as I went a bit crazy on the mozzarella, you’re free to add more but I put the amounts in the recipe that gives it a nice covering of cheese, not quite as thick as mine above. Feel free to add more though!I didn’t have any bread with my chicken meatballs as I had it with the pasta and it was very filling. The meatballs are filling by themselves so you may want to make the portions smaller to start with, you can always go back for seconds.
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe for later!
Do you have to brown meatballs before putting in slow cooker?
You don’t have to brown the meatballs. As the recipe says just add everything to the slow cooker, easy peasy. So wonderful for a busy weeknight.
Can I put uncooked past in slow cooker?
As mentioned, yes you can we just prefer the texture when they’ve been cooked separately but you can do it either way. The advantage is less pots to clean after!
Can I freeze the meatballs?
Yes you can but I recommend not putting any cheese on top if you plan to freeze them in an airtight container.
Now let’s get on to that exciting contest we mentioned!
It’s a #CrocktoberChicken/ #PouletCrocktober Social Giveaway total prize/s value of $500! CANADA ONLY.
- Crock-Pot® 7-Quart Oval Cast Iron Dutch Oven in Grey
- FoodSaver Vacuum Sealing System
- Instant Pot 9-in-1 Duo Plus 6 qt.
ONE winner – Must be a CANADIAN resident 18+ years of age. Enter on the widget below and GOOD LUCK!
Make sure to follow Chicken Farmers of Canada:
Leaving you with one last recipe photo. If you try the recipe let us know how you liked it!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.